THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL OF TANZANIA ADVANCED CERTIFICATE OF SECONDARY EDUCATION EXAMINATIONS
131/1 PHYSICS 1
(For Both School and Private Candidates)
Time 3 Hours Year: 2019
1. This paper consists of sections A and B with a total of ten (10) questions.
2. Answer all questions in section A and two (2) questions from section B.
3. Section A carries seventy (70) marks and Section B carries thirty (30) marks.
4. Marks for each question or part thereof are indicated.
5. Mathematical tables and non-programmable calculators may be used.
6. Cellular phones and any unauthorized materials are not allowed in the examination room.
7. Write your Examination Number on every page of your answer booklet(s).
8. The following information may be useful:
Acceleration of free fall on the moon, g = 1.67 m/s 2
Radius of the earth, R = 6400 km
Thermal conductivity of metal = 400 W m -l k-l
Resistivity of gold, p = 2.27 x 10 -8 0 m
Stefan-Boltzman constant, o = 5.67 x 10 Wm- K—4
Acceleration due to gravity, g = 9.8 m s-2
Density of gold = 19300 kg m 3
1. (a) (i) Identify two basic rules of dimensional analysis
(ii) The frequency n of vibration of a stretched string is a function of its tension F, the length I and mass per unit length m. Use the method of dimensions to derive the formula relating the stated physical quantities.
(b) (i) The period of a particle executing simple harmonic motion (S.H.M) is 3 seconds. If its amplitude is 25 cm, calculate the time taken by the particle to move a distance of 12.5 cm on either side from the mean position.
(ii) A person weighing 50 kg stands on a platform which oscillates with a frequency of 2 Hz and amplitude 0.05 m. Find his/her minimum weight as recorded by a machine of the platform.