1. This paper consists of fifty (50) questions in sections A, B, C and D.
2. Answer all the questions.
3. Read all the given instructions in the special answer sheet (OMR) and fill in all the required information.
4. Write your Examination Number and then shade the digits of the number in the respective place in your answer sheet.
5. Shade the letter of the correct answer for each question in the answer sheet provided, for example, if the correct answer is A shade as follows:
6. If you have to change your answer, you must rub out the shading very neatly before shading the new one. Use a clean rubber.
7. Use HB pencil only.
8. Cellular phones are not allowed in the examination room.
SECTION A: GRAMMAR
Choose the words that complete the sentences by shading the letters of the correct answer in the answer sheet provided.
1.The children _____________ when the lights went off.
2.The teacher _____________ me with a stick yesterday.
3.Mr Kiula _____________ in his vegetable garden now.
4.My friend _____________ a bath before I arrived.
5.Sometimes he _____________ alone.
6. Some elephants _____________ our crops.
7. If he _____________, we will go with him.
8. Did you _____________ your home work last night?
9.Farmers _____________ maize next year.
10. Is Andrew _____________ well in his studies these days?
11._____________ she was tired, she worked hard.
11._____________ she was tired, she worked hard.
13.This book is _____________ big to fit in my bag.
14.He looks _____________ younger since he came back from Loliondo.
15.The man _____________ stole the books was caught at night.
16.Will you _____________ me your pen, please?
17. Write the indirect speech for the sentence “My brother will be here tomorrow.” Mary said.
Mary said that her brother could be there the next day
Mary said that my brother will be there the next day
Mary said that her brother would be there the next day
Mary said that her brother will be there the next day
Mary said that your brother will be there the next day.
18. Mr Kalasamaki goes fishing every evening, _____________?
19. Mr and Mrs John have a _____________ family.
20.He is both a committed prefect _____________ a clever pupil.
21.I was so exhausted _____________ I did not work anymore.
22.Did you send me _____________ empty parcel?
23.Mr Tajiri’s house is _____________ big _____________ Mr Maskini’s house.
so … as
as … as
too … as
so … that
too … to
24.He got up early _____________ catch the aircraft.
in order to
25.It is cloudy, _____________ it will rain today.
26.My mother uses _____________ onion as a spice.
27.We have known him _____________ 1995.
28.There was _____________ rainfall in January than in February this year.
29.Rehema bought a _____________ of soap and a kilo of sugar.
30. She injured herself _____________ a knife.
SECTION B: VOCABULARY
For each of the following questions, choose the correct answer and shade its letter in the answer sheet provided.
31. A person who cuts other people’s hair is called a __________.
32.A person who defends a country when there is a war is called __________.
33.Our cow has just given birth to a __________.
34.The items: skirt, shirt, pair of trousers and coat are all __________.
35. A pedestrian is a person who __________.
pedals the bicycle
walks on foot
travels by car
uses a pedal
travels by train
36. When a person does not get some food nutrients, he/she can get __________.
SECTION C: COMPOSITION
This section has four mixed sentences. Arrange the sentences so as to make a good composition by giving them letters A-D. Shade the letter of the correct answer in your answer sheet.
37. She jumped out of bed and ran to her mother happily.
38. She found her mother in the kitchen with a cake and some toys.
39. Diana was still fast asleep in the morning dreaming about her birthday.
40. Suddenly, she heard her mother calling her.
SECTION D: COMPREHENSION
Read the following passage carefully and then answer the questions that follow by shading the letter of the correct answer in your answer sheet.
A long time ago, there was a Monkey and his wife who had a garden full of different crops such as beans, peas and cabbages. They also had plenty of yams. Mr and Mrs Monkey worked very hard day and night. During the dry season, they watered their garden by using water from the nearby well.
Near their garden lived a Tortoise who was slow and lazy. Mr Tortoise never did any work. He used to sing his favourite songs all day while Monkey and his wife worked in their garden.
There was a lot of food in the Monkey’s house. The house was so small it could hardly keep all the food from the garden. This was different from Mr. Tortoise’s house since there was no food at all. When Tortoise wanted some food, he got it by telling stories and singing songs. He used to tell children from different homes to take food along when going to his house for the stories and songs.
These children’s parents discovered that Mr Tortoise was using their children for his survival. So they stopped their children from going there, hence Tortoise suffered from hunger. One day, the Tortoise sent his son to the Monkey’s house to borrow some food and promised to pay him the next day. The Monkey gave the Tortoise some food.
The following day, Monkey went to Tortoise’s house and asked to be paid his money. Tortoise told him not to worry as he would pay him “the next day”. Unfortunately for the Monkey, the next day never came.
41. Who worked hard in his garden?
42. Who lived near the Monkey’s garden?
The Monkey’s wife
The Monkey’s friends
The children’s parents.
43.How did the Tortoise get food?
44. Whose house was full of food?
The children’s house
The neighbours’ house
The Tortoise’s house
The Monkey’s friends’ house.
The Monkey’s house
45.Why did the Tortoise suffer from hunger?
Because he was a beggar
Because he was lazy
Because he liked stories
Because he liked visiting friends
Because he liked singing.
46. Who did the Tortoise send to the Monkey’s home?
47. When did Tortoise promise to pay Monkey for the food?
After a week
The following day
In two days time
The same day
In the morning.
48. Where did Monkey get water from in the dry season?