By the end of the topic, the student should be able to;
I. Explain the meaning and types of life skills.
2. Illustrate the importance of life skills.
3. Demonstrate how to use social a skills.
4. Analyze the consequences of not applying social skills.
- A skill is the ability that a person has to do something well.
- Life skills are the ability of a person to live in the society. Life skills enable a person to manage his or her life properly and make it better; Life skills enable a person to kwon what to do at certain times and what not to do.
Life skills include the following:
1. Understanding oneself
2. Build sound relationships with others.
3. Survive under difficult Circumstances
4. Act responsibly and safely
5. Solve problems.
Types of Life skills:
-There are three types of life skills. These are;
1. Individual life skills
2. Social life skills.
3. Effective decision-making skills.
-These skills enable individuals to understand themselves in various ways. People are able to understand their strengths and weaknesses how they think and feel and how they express their thoughts and feelings.
1. Individual life skills include self-awareness, ability to cope with stress and with emotions and assertiveness.
1) Self – awareness
3) Coping with stress
4) Coping with emotions.
Branches of Individual Skills
Short notes on the branches of individual life skills
- Awareness is the ability to know something. Thus self-awareness is the ability of individual to know himself or herself his or her feelings emotions, strengths and weaknesses.
(b) Coping with stress.
- Stress is mental, emotional or physical tension or pressure. It can be caused by events such as examinations divorce, death of a family member or a friend or problem in the family.
- A person needs to develop skills that
Cope with different emotions enables a person to control his or her strong feeling and actions.
-Assertiveness is the ability of a person to know what he or she wants and why and be able to take necessary step to achieve it.
- Assertive person is able to express his or her opinions or desires strongly and with confidence.
- This is the ability to understand and live in peace and harmony with others. Social skills give an individual the knowledge and ability to live according to the standards of a society.
- Aspect of social skills are:-
Forming healthy relationships
(a) Forming healthy relationship
Relationships refer to the way people interact and behave towards each other. Relationship can be between children and parents or students and teachers. They can be also be between relatives, neighbors or peers.
(b) Forming friendships
Forming friendship is the ability of an individual to make friends with people whom he or she can share activities, ideas joy and sadness. This life skill enables an individual to form bonds with people and thus prevent loneliness.
(c) Peer resistance – peer pressure
This came about when ones friends influence him or her to do something. Our friends can influence us to do something. Our friends can influence us to do good or bad things. For example, positive peer pressure can lead you to work harder in school and improve you grades
Empathy is the ability to understand other peoples feelings and to feel concerned about their problems. This enables us to share our friend’s problems.
Negotiation is the ability to agree on issues without undermining or going against ones principles Negotiation skills build good understanding.
(f) Effectively communication
Effectively communication is the ability of a person to communicate with people according to their mood, age and back ground .It includes
Effective decision – making skills
These skills enable a person to make good decisions. the following are the aspects of effective decision making skills . Critical thinking creative thinking problems solving and decision making.
(a) Critical thinking
Critical thinking is the ability of a person to develop a deep understanding of something. It helps a person to understand the environment in which he or she lives and the problems which might prevent him or her from making proper decisions.
(b) Creative thinking ;-
Creative thinking is the ability to think and come up with new ideas and new ways of doing things. In life creative thinking helps an individual to come up with solution that other people had up with solutions that other people had not through of .
(c) Decision making
This is the ability to make the best choice out of many available options. The choice is made after considering its results. In life it is important to think about consequences before making a decision.
(d) Problems – solving
Problems solving involves making a choice and acting on it problems solving skills are necessary in life because they help individual to make decisions and implement them. In whatever situation they find themselves.
Sources of life skills
People learn life skills from different sources they following are the major ones:-
IMPORANCE OF LIFE SKILLS
Make proper decisions in life on different matters like friendships , the subjects to take at school and the careers to pursue
Develop goods behavior; hence a person is able to avoid bad friends and anti – social behavior such as smoking and drug abuse.
Increase love and understanding for other people because of goods social skills
Respond effectively to different situation. A person is able to handle unfortunate occurrence such as devoice and death.
Maintain peace and order. Negotiation skills enable people to solve their problems peacefully. This help to prevent conflicts
Understand the environment and the ways of fitting in it.
How to use special skills
We can use social skills in the followings
The skills enable one to how to behave in each relationship
Consequences of not applying life skills
Failure to apply life skills can lead to problems . Some of these problems are :-
(i) Ability to do something is
(ii) Enables a person to manage his/her life properly
(iii) Which is not a life skill?
(iv) Which of these is not an individual skill?
(v) Ability to express ones opinions, desires, strongly with confidence is?
(vi) Which is not aspect of social skill?
(vii) Ability to understand other people’s feelings, and feel concern about their problem is concerns is
(viii) Which is not a component of effective communication?
(ix) Ability of a person to develop new thing is termed as
(x) Which is the main some of life skills
2. Write short notes on:
a) Critical thinking
c) Problem solving
d) Personal life skills
e) Social skills.
3. Mention main sources of skills
4. Briefly explain five examples of social skills
5. Mention and explain three types of life skills.
6. Discuss the importance of life skills.
7. Fill in the blanks;
a) ________________ are the ways people behave and relate to each other
b) The ability of a person to resist negatives influence from other is called ______________
c) The ability of a an individual to understand and be concerned about other people’s problems is called_______________
d) The ability of a person to communicate with others while considering their mood , age and background is called_________________
e) ____________is the ability to agree on issues without undermining one’s principles.